Friday, April 23, 2010

Preliminary Drawings


(Update 1/18/12) For a French translation of this post please click here for a downloadable PDF file:

For most of my paintings I first start with a careful preliminary pencil drawing. These drawings have relatively little shading. They are generally reduced to linear designs that I can later transfer to a linen for painting. I don't see them as finished works within themselves but only as one stage in the process of making a painting. They give me a chance to investigate the structure of the objects as well as interesting two dimensional linear patterns and shapes within the composition. Simple subjects may only take a few hours while complex pieces can take many days.


Below are two preliminary drawings and the subsequent paintings that resulted. The drawings have been increased in contrast so that they are easier to view.









Thanks for taking a look!

7 comments:

  1. This is a really great post Doug. I love these paintings and it's good to see the drawings that were behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that shell painting is so so gorgeous! if only i could afford to buy art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that shell painting is oh so gorgeous. if only i could afford to buy art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i posted my comment twice...so this would make a third....uh oh well--I apologize for the dedundancy. i blame the slow server. that's what i am calling myself now "server"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Scott! Carol, you're in luck, you don't have to purchase anything, with your excellent abilities you can paint yourself a gorgeous piece! Thanks for the multiple comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantabulous! I love both pieces. I see you drew ALL of the patterns on that drapery... wouldn't want to get lost in all that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been enjoying your Blogs. And that has suggested a question. I am struggling to understand the planes of rounded forms (such as apples). Do you know of any books that would help divide such forms into various planes?

    Thanks, Martha Crow

    ReplyDelete